Brotherly Love

I hated my younger brother
That's what everyone said
And by the age of seven
I was convinced of it
Convinced that I was something called 'jealous'
Jealous that I was no longer Mum's no.1

 I didn't like his teeth
Now that was the truth
Especially those large milky front ones
Teeth I'd have gladly relieved him of
If I'd not learnt from experience:
They grow back

 Oh, I HATED HIM!
That's what everyone said
Said that was why I wouldn't eat anything he'd touched
or even looked at
Now that's hatred for ya
Everyone agreed on that

 And that time I laughed
When a pointed stick
Went through the underside of his chin
And Left him gasping from fear
They said that I was “wicked”
And I believed I was
And kept my nightmares to myself

I hated my younger brother
That's what everyone said
And I knew it was true
Because in the dead of night
As I stood at the window
Hoping a taxi
Would deliver Mum home
I'd go over to his bed
And place my hand on his chest
Or under his nose
To check he was still
Breathing.

That's how much I hated
 My Younger Brother Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment